We were so blessed to have him with us for this long, I know. I have thought of him all day today and I wish I could have seen his reunion with Grandma. I can just see the beautiful smile on his face and the twinkle in his eye the moment he met his dear sweetheart again. They have been apart for almost a year and a half now and half of Grandpa left with her when she died so it makes me smile to think of them together now.
What a wonderful man to have as a Grandfather. He loved kids and all of us grandchildren loved to be in Grandma and Grandpa's home. They always welcomed each one of us with open arms and made us feel like they were so happy to see us. He was always so cheerful, had such a beautiful smile, and you could always hear him whistling while he worked. He love to look nice and always was clean and neat and I can still smell his aftershave. He was such a people person and had many friends from all walks of life that admired him. He was a hard worker and even in his retirement years was always busy at some task everyday.
He was a "Cowman" not a cowboy as my Dad would always say. Ranch life was his legacy and I wish that I could have known him in his early years on the ranch in Wyoming. Wish I could have seen him riding off for the "roundup" or seen him rope and ride or break a green c
olt in the round corral. What a hero for a young girl to tell her friends about. I remember as a little girl, wanting so badly to impress him with how I could ride my horse. I wanted to ride just like him and my Dad did. To me they will always both be the best cowboys the ever lived.
olt in the round corral. What a hero for a young girl to tell her friends about. I remember as a little girl, wanting so badly to impress him with how I could ride my horse. I wanted to ride just like him and my Dad did. To me they will always both be the best cowboys the ever lived. What a talented man he was. Even in his retirement years when he no longer had cows to chase he still kept busy everyday. He loved to build things in his workshop, he always had a beautiful garden and flowers and he could even sew!! Now how many cowboys could boast that. When David and I got married I decided that I didn't want to buy fresh flowers for the wedding, but I wanted to dry some of Grandpa's roses that he had grown that summer as some of my wedding flowers.
He had one of the kindest hearts of any man I have known. How touching it was to see how tenderly and unselfishly he cared for my Grandma in their last years together.
I inherited his love of finding a "good bargain". I find myself now getting such a thrill when I find an outfit at a thrift store for hardly nothing and I think of him.
He also loved to have fun and loved to tease always with a twinkle in his eye. He had one of the most beautiful smiles that could make you feel so good when you were near him.
Even as I write this I still can't quite believe that he is gone. I can't believe that the next time I walk down those stairs to the little apartment that Grandma and him shared, I won't hear that familiar voice say , "Oh it's Keri, how are ya hon, so good to see you." I won't be able to see him sitting in his favorite brown chair watching a Jazz game on t.v. and ask me "Do you like the Jazz?" I won't get to argue with him when he says "Are you sure I can't get you something to eat." I won't get to see him sitting down at the little round table playing a round of cribbage with my Dad and I won't get to feel one of his warm and comforting hugs, but I know that it was time to let him go. I know that Grandma needed him and that Heaven needed another cowboy, for I know that he is riding tall in the saddle right now with his dog Jiggs right beside him for I know that is what Heaven is for him.

With all my love Grandpa, you will be greatly missed but will always be in my heart.




2 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to him Keri.
Keri,
I loved your blog. Those boys are adorable. I just get excited reading about all those baseball plays, having been there a few years past. The tribute to Grandpa was priceless. Thank you for sharing more cute things about Grandpa that we all loved. You said it beautifully. And you as a bride--beautiful!! I remember that day with fondness. You are a precious mother to those cute boys. I so hope to see you all and I hope we welcome you as warmly as Grandma and Grandpa could. The table is getting lots of good use out on the patio. Thanks so much.
Love, Aunt Robin
Post a Comment