I just got back from my Grandma Pope's funeral which was ironically enough held on what would have been my Grandma Gladys' 91st birthday. My heart hurts when I think of both of them. Girls need their Grandma's and I was so very lucky to have such special ladies to be mine. They were both some of my best friends and always made time for me. I spent many moments in their later years having some of the best visits with them.
I can still remember how my Grandma Gladys' hands felt when I held them. So soft, despite all of the many years of hard work they endured. I think of her often and the things that she taught me. One of them was friendship. She had many life long friends that she kept close to. She was a friend to all. It didn't matter who you were, rich or poor she would be your friend. She taught me service, and now like her I find myself delivering plates of goodies or bread to those who need comfort. I find myself smiling at all that I meet, just as she did. She always wanted to make everyone else feel better, even though she was most of the time in pain. So on the 31st of January I paused to think of her again, and how thankful I am that she shared her testimony of the gospel with me and that I know that I she can still be close to me and that I will see her again.
It hurt my heart when David and I stopped at my Grandma and Grandpa Pope's house today to say goodbye to Grandpa. Grandma wasn't in her favorite pink chair. Everything in the house was the same as when I saw her last. In the kitchen there were notes with her writing on them, her recipe book on top of the microwave, all of her knick knacks were all in place where they always were. I went in the bathroom and her hairspray and lotions were still there and I realized how precious life is. We take for granted everyday and put material things as valuable and things that will make us happy when I realized that when that loved one is gone those material things cannot give our soul the happiness that that person could give. I challenge anyone reading this to spend quality time with your family and loved ones. When we are gone it is the time we spent with them that our loved ones will remember, not the material things that you have. I have been so busy the last couple of months that I have not spent the time with my boys that I should have. I have been so easily aggravated with little things like, clothes not picked up, interrupting me when I am on the phone and messes everywhere, that I have forgotten that these little boys need more than food, shelter and clean clothes. They need my individual attention each day and I hope that with the New Year I can remember that everyday and make time for it. For if there is one thing that I have learned for sure in my thirty years, it is that life changes and you should enjoy your loved ones that you have with you now or as Grandma Pope would always say "Enjoy your kids, they'll be grown up and gone before you know it"
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hi Keri! I really enjoyed seeing you and visiting with you this weekend. I have been having the same thoughts as you this weekend, thinking about cherishing family and the moments we spend together. I think that is how we can honor grandma-- giving each of our kids and future grandkids the great memories and special attention that she gave us. :)
I always think about Grandma's soft hands too. Grandpa reminds me of her now, he holds my hands just like she did.
Post a Comment