Saturday, October 17, 2009

Just Thankful (with pictures)




Last friday night as I was getting ready to go to bed, I happened to walk through the kitchen and heard my husband talking on the sheriff radio to the dispatcher. This is quite usual and I normally don't pay too much attention but for some reason I stopped and listened for a while to see what was going on with him. I heard him say that he was checking on an abandoned vehicle that was parked along the highway about 30 miles from here. Then about ten minutes later I hear him say to the dispatcher to send out a wrecker because he had just rolled his truck. My heart sank and I made the phone call to the dispatcher to verify that what I had heard was correct. She confirmed that he had been in a wreck. She then sent the page for the ambulance to respond and notified the sheriff. It was a very long five minutes later when I heard his voice on the radio again asking the dispatcher to call me and let me know that he was ok because he knew that I was probably listening to all of this on the radio. He ended up having to ride the ambulance to the hospital (much to his dislike) but the doctor was able to check him out thoroughly at the ER and found no broken bones or serious injury. Amazingly enough all he had was a severe "rug burn" on top of his head from the top of the cab smashing on top of his head and a cut on his ear. His neck, back and ribs took quite a beating and are still very sore, but after looking at his truck, I am so thankful that is all that is wrong with him.

It made me realize how precious life really is. There are sometimes that I am so busy with cleaning up dinner and helping get kids ready for bed that I don't really say a very good goodbye to him when he leaves for work. I have now learned that I should never take for granted that when he leaves all will be well. I believe that he definitely was protected that night and I am just so grateful for guardian angels and for a Father in Heaven who allowed my boys and I to keep our Daddy here with us longer. Every night this past week I have made sure that I tell him I love him before he walks out that door, because you just never know.