Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Christmas Idea


Tonight I and the boys were able to finally have a sucessful family home evening, now I say successful as in we were able to complete everything on the program without me throwing my hands up in the air and saying "I surrender".

I came up with an idea that I was very excited about for our family to do for the month of December. We started out by looking at pictures of Jesus and all that he did while he was on the earth and we discussed how everyday Jesus helped people. We also talked about how Christmas is a time of giving and the reason is because of the gifts that Jesus has blessed us with and we decided to give back to Jesus this year. We made a goal that each one of us everyday until the 25th will do one kind thing for someone else and write it down on a slip of paper. We made a label that we taped on a cookie jar that said "Gifts for Jesus from the Wendt family" then we made yummy gingerbread cookies and filled the jar. The idea is that every night we will all write down one kind thing that we have done for someone that day and put it in the cookie jar and then we get to eat one cookie in replacement. Hopefully my kids will get the lesson in this that is the best gift we can give our Savior is to serve someone else. I wanted to share this with all of you because I thought it was a neat way to help our kids remember the true meaning of Christmas. I think as Mothers we have a tough battle at Christmas time trying to teach our children the true unselfish meaning of Christmas while the world is throwing at them every plot to make them want more and more material things. I hope that it works and I will try to post the end result. I am also posting the delicious soft gingerbread cookie recipe that my Mom found on our family's cooking blog at briggswomenbakers.blogspot.com. Feel free to steal the recipe off of there as well as many other yummy recipes that were posted earlier. Hope that all you mothers out there are feeling peace as the holiday rush starts to come upon us all. :-)

4 comments:

SandyKay said...

Look @ Luke's face!!! How darling is that??? I made this picture my background on my computer. Now I get to miss them even more! Great idea ~ we want to try it. We've been thinking about it since Conference and President Monson's talk. Love to all!

Kim said...

What a good idea! I think I will use your idea for my family night next week! I'm excited to try out your gingerbread cookie recipe, too! Yum!

Natalie said...

We've totally been asking that question at dinner. I like it. And I agree, the thought of going out and buying all this stuff for Christmas is kind of making me sick. What to do? If you think of anything great, let me know. I'd get rid of Mr. S in a second if I could :)

Natalie said...

Great idea, Keri! What a sweet mom you are! So great to see your cute kids faces.
Love, Aunt Robin